- Some Common Reasons Why Sweating Occurs At Night
- Benefits of Using A Cooling Pillow For More Restful Sleep
- What To Look For In The Best Cooling Pillow
- What’s Your Sleep Style?
- Cooling Pillow Reviews
Sweating may help regulate your body temperature to stay cool, but various health conditions could be the culprit behind profuse sweating, which can happen at less than opportune moments. If you’re always waking up to drenched sheets and a soggy pillow, using the best cooling pillow within your budget may be a welcome solution.
So how do cooling pillows work, and why should you get one? Pillows with cooling technology are specially formulated to reduce the amount of body heat transferred from the head and neck while you sleep.
In our cooling pillow reviews and buying guide we will discuss the issue of sleeping hot, and how a good buy can help reduce hot sleepless nights.
Some Common Reasons Why Sweating Occurs At Night
Overheating and excessive sweating can happen for a myriad of reasons. Making a few lifestyle changes can help alleviate night sweats, albeit this phenomenon may occur because of limiting medical conditions.
Night sweats can have a negative impact on both men and women, impacting health. Sleeping with a cooling gel pillow or a memory foam cooling pillow can help improve sleep. Also, making adjustments in lifestyle habits, eating a healthful diet, exercising, and taking medication can alleviate night sweating.
If you are struggling with obesity, suffering from anxiety, or experience other ailments, realize that related metabolic disorders can contribute to sleep deprivation. If you are living with little to no sleep frequently, it can lead to increased risk of heart disease, and trigger other health problems. However, before we discuss medical conditions, here are a few non-medical reasons which hopefully can be resolved much easier:
- You enjoy eating spicy foods often, and right before bedtime. This will cause sweating at night.
- The weather is hotter, contributing to a warmer room and bed.
- You need to increase your water intake.
- You have a mattress that is holding heat. Consider buying a specialist mattress for hot sleepers.
Depending on what factors are impacting your sleep, you can take proactive steps to reduce their significance. Turn down the heat by choosing to sleep on a cool pillow, turning on a fan, or modifying specific behaviors before going to bed. Maybe there’s some truth to eating spicy foods right before going to bed?
- Menopause and hot flashes
- Sleep disorders such as Narcolepsy and Sleep Apnea
- Restless limbs
- Circadian disruption
- Hormonal imbalances
- Some neurologic conditions
- Infections such as Tuberculosis and Endocarditis
These health conditions are indeed not the only contributing factors to night sweats and difficulty in getting restful sleep. But, the best cooling pillow may be of some service, fostering a more comfortable and welcoming sleep environment, and aide with regulating body temperature.
Benefits of Using A Cooling Pillow For More Restful Sleep
Cooling pillows are designed to reduce the buildup of body heat, and distribute the body heat elsewhere, so you sweat less and feel cooler while you sleep. Pillows may differ on how firm or soft they may be, depending on the construction materials.
Generally, they will wick away moisture, or conform to the body’s curves, so you enjoy a better night’s rest every time. Some cooling pillows are better for side-sleepers, back sleepers, or for those who like sleeping on their stomach.
Sleeping with a top rated cooling pillow can be helpful for more than a few reasons. If you live with any of the above-listed health conditions, you may find a reduction in the severity of your symptoms, once you sleep with a self-cooling pillow. Here are a few more benefits:
- Insomnia may taper off, as a cool pillow may promote an ability to fall asleep faster.
- A cool pillow will also alleviate sleeping disturbances caused by metabolic disorders.
- Feeling more relaxed before going to bed, may result from sleeping on a cooling pillow.
What To Look For In The Best Cooling Pillow
Cooling pillows are often created using elements like gel or memory foam, and they usually offer better ergonomic support for the head and neck too. Not sure why the composition of a cooling pillow has value? Here’s the rundown of what you need to know.
- Memory foam pillows are mostly made from polyurethane and are flexible enough to mold to the curvature of the head and neck.
- Good for retaining and distributing body heat, especially for sleepers who get moderately hot.
- Foam reacts to temperature and pressure and is usually suitable for many types of sleepers.
- Maybe a little ineffective compared to gel variants due to some reports of heat retention.
Shredded Memory Foam
- Also made from polyurethane, but is shredded as opposed to bulky, which helps retain more fluff to its form, and cradles the body’s curvature.
- Can still be as firm as non-shredded memory foam, depending on how tightly it is packed.
- Like buckwheat pillows, the shredded type helps dissipate heat better as the gaps in the foam make it more breathable.
- Usually a combination of foam with a gel liquid or gel beads, but sometimes is a pure gel.
- Like water pillows, these are good for sleepers who get very hot at night, as gel works to reduce heat transfer.
- Gel offers a bit more malleability than memory foam.
Remember to consider a pillow’s construction and materials before making a decision.
What’s Your Sleep Style?
Getting comfortable sleep isn’t solely dependent on staying cooler throughout the night. When choosing a cooling pillow for hot flashes, you also need to consider how your choice works with your sleeping style. Most sleepers either love sleeping on their back, on their side or even laying on their stomach. Some sleepers may also exhibit a combination of sleeping styles, requiring a versatile pillow.
Depending on the sleep style that suits you the best, you may want to make sure your choice of pillow also matches the amount of firmness that you need to fall into a deep sleep.
It can be a real challenge getting a good night’s rest if you have to fight with your pillow in the night. You want to choose a pillow where you won’t have to continually struggle with readjusting, folding, or fluffing it to get comfortable.
Making sure the spine is aligned correctly is a big deal for side sleepers. You want a pillow that cradle’s the head and neck yet still provides soft but firm support. Pillows that are overly soft may encourage stress on the neck’s pressure points, or leave you feeling like you are sinking continually into the pillow without end.
If a pillow is too firm, or overly soft, it may cause your head and neck to recline at a weird angle, promoting muscle strain, tension, or pain after you wake up. One that is in the middle of the road, pliable enough to conform to the shape of the head and neck, while still offering gentle to moderate support is best.
Thicker pillows with firm support are a good choice because they help fill in the distance gap, created from the elevation of the head and shoulders from the rest of the body.
Sleeping on your back is considered the best thing for optimal spinal alignment and health. Back sleepers will want a pillow that is either very firm or moderately fluffy depending on personal preference. Most people sleep on their back, and it can help reduce your chances of experiencing heartburn or snoring while sleeping.
The most important thing is that the cooling pillow you choose best supports your head and neck. Back sleepers will want to make sure their head and neck maintain a comfortable alignment, using a pillow with cooling gel, or a blend of both memory foam and cooling gel.
Shredded foam pillows may be a bit too fluffy and soft for most back sleepers. Also, back sleepers who want support for elevating their lower back and hips may appreciate a pillow made from a firmer foam or a gel-infused memory foam pillow.
Stomach sleepers are kind of like the big kid of sleeping adults, as they may like pillows that are fluffy, and let you sink into them with abandon. Since stomach sleepers are outstretched, spinal alignment issues aren’t too bad, but they still need additional support.
Pillows made with shredded foam are usually a good choice because the amount of firmness can be easily adjusted, and the foam isn’t as firm as non-shredded versions. Tummy sleepers who may desire a firmer pillow with a low profile may want a cooling pillow made entirely from gel, or choose a pillow with a rounded top but flat bottom.
Don’t Forget Pillow Support For The Knees And Legs
Once you figure out the best cooling pillow for your usual sleeping style, don’t forget that these can be good for other functions such as supporting various body parts, such as the knees and legs too. Here are a few more pointers concerned with usage and positioning which make these a good choice overall:
- If you are recovering from surgery, injury, or are feeling tension and stress in the joints or muscles of your lower appendages, you might want to treat your lower half to a cooling pillow.
- Some of the best pregnancy pillows also have cooling elements infused, making them ideal for expectant mothers who often experience hot flushes.
- Pillows are a great way to elevate body parts that could use some extra attention, improving blood circulation, and reducing discomfort.
- A cooling pillow can decrease discomfort in inflamed regions of the body and offers relief on the skin or bone.
- A firmer pillow created with gel-infused memory foam or solely memory foam without gel may offer the best flexible but strong support.
- Pillow support should keep the body in proper alignment, so you can focus on falling asleep more quickly, instead of tossing and turning.
- Sleeping with a cooling pillow placed between the knees, under the hips, or under the legs can help reduce back pain.
- Pillow support used for the lower body can also reduce waking up to readjust throughout the night so that you can sleep more soundly.
Cooling Pillow Reviews
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Pillow
This bamboo cooling pillow may benefit sleepers with sensitive skin because it uses materials that are hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites. The cover is made with a composition of bamboo-based viscose, polyester, and lycra fabrics. This pillow enhances air circulation and uses micro-venting, which reduces sweat buildup.
A proprietary mix of shredded foam composes the Snuggle-Pedic pillow. The shredded foam composition may offer your body better orthopedic support and keeps you feeling cooler through the night. Since it comes with a zipper, sleepers can quickly reduce the amount of foam inside for a customized fit. Back sleepers, side-sleepers, and tummy sleepers may like this ultra luxury pillow because it offers support without being overly firm. Additionally, it may be a good choice for sleepers who have sleep apnea. The shredded memory foam is firm but gently conforms to the body’s natural curvature.
What We Liked
- Zipper allows you to adjust the amount of shredded memory foam inside for comfort
- Uses certified memory foam without using toxic or harmful chemicals
- Shredded foam composition provides malleable but moderately firm orthopedic support
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- The bamboo cover offers temperature reducing relief
What We Didn’t Like
- Does not include cooling gel
- The cover is what provides cooling benefits, not pillow alone
- Shredded memory foam may be too soft for some sleepers
Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow
Sleepers who value a pillow that is super plush, supportive, and sensitive to allergies may want to try sleeping on the Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow. Sleepers may find an alleviation to night sweats and feel less overheated when sleeping on this one since this top-rated cooling pillow is filled with gel fiber.
The pillow is tailored so the amount of support and firmness is calibrated, and resists shifting around when sleeping. Those of you who may have ailments such as respiratory difficulties, asthma, or allergies to dust mites may find relief with this pillow, as it is made without the use of chemicals, allergens, and is resistant to mold, mildew, and dust mites.
As for sleeping position, the Sleep Restoration pillow may be suitable for side sleepers who like to fold or use a pile of pillows to get comfortable. Back sleepers may also appreciate the firm yet fluffy composition of this gel pillow, for supporting their head and neck.
What We Liked
- Uses gel fiber filling to keep you feeling fresh and comfortable
- Tailoring supports pillow from shifting around
- Resistant to dust mites, mildew, mold, and allergens
- Plush but still provides excellent support
- Resistant to stains and fading
What We Didn’t Like
- May need fluffing from time to time
- Pillows may run on the larger side and not fit a standard pillowcase
Bluewave Bedding Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow
Sleepers seeking a pillow that keeps you feeling cooler at night but has a slimmer profile may find the Bluewave Bedding a good fit for their needs. This gel pillow utilizes ventilation holes, and gel-infused memory foam to resist excess heat buildup while you sleep. You may feel a lot cooler sleeping on this pillow, because of improved air circulation.
Those of you who like to sleep on your stomach may want this for its unique design. One side is more rounded, while the other is entirely flat. This pillow provides substantial support for your body while keeping you cool, without leaving you feeling jacked up from a large loft.
Sleepers who live with chronic neck pain, shoulder pain, insomnia, or snoring may get a lot of value from the gel pillow. If you suffer from profuse sweating or burn hot while at rest, the Bluewave uses a machine washable cover made from bamboo, rayon, and polyester to keep you from overheating. The cooling pillow cover works to wick away sweat and resists odors from setting in.
What We Liked
- Uses ventilation holes and gel-infused foam to promote air circulation and cooling
- Foam is certified and hypoallergenic
- Has two distinct sides, one rounded, and one flat for stomach sleepers
- Thin profile still offers support without leaving sleepers feeling boosted up
- The cover wicks away moisture from sweat, promoting cooling
What We Didn’t Like
- Memory foam is on the firm side, and may not have enough flexibility for some sleepers
- The thin profile may leave pillow flat after years of sleeping on it
Live and Sleep Memory Foam Cooling Pillow
Sleepers seeking a medium level firmness may have some joy with this cooling pillow. Composed of memory foam that is Viscoelastic, the Live and Sleep provide an experience that may be comparable to sleeping on those high-quality hotel pillows you may have experienced at some point.
The gel foam works to keep you feeling cool and maintain even body temperature. Not only is the memory foam made to improve airflow for comfort, but the knit cover is stretchy and promotes proper air circulation to reduce discomfort from overheating or sweating. There is no shredded foam, latex, or down within this pillow, so you won’t need to reposition or fluff often.
Laying on the surface of this plush pillow that is 5 inches thick, you may alleviate anxiety or stress over getting more profound and more restful sleep. Certified and made from non-toxic materials, the Live and Sleep may be the best cooling pillow for side-sleepers who enjoy something with a fuller body.
What We Liked
- Stretchy knit cover promotes air circulation throughout the night
- Viscoelastic memory foam is gel-infused
- Pillow is made extra thick with 5 inches of memory foam support for comfort
- Memory foam construction helps relieve stress on pressure points in the neck
- Medium-level of firmness offers support without losing its plush feel
What We Didn’t Like
- The thicker profile may be too much for some depending on preferences
- Unable to adjust the amount of foam inside the pillow
Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow
You may be able to banish frequent night sweats, waking up in the middle of the night, and struggling to get comfortable with this cooling pillow from Classic Brands. It uses both memory foam and cooling gel, so you can alternate each side when you want to feel cool or warm.
If you are prone to hot flashes, waking up in a sweat, or quickly become overheated, you may appreciate the use of cooling gel memory foam. Sleeping with the cool side may provide better distribution of body heat, enhancing air circulation to reduce transferred body heat from lingering.
Some sleepers may feel this is the best cooling pillow for hot flashes, because of its versatility to keep your temperature regulated despite sleeping in a warm room, or cool room, depending on the side you choose to sleep on.
What We Liked
- Dual-sided pillow lets you choose between memory foam or gel layer for personal comfortable
- 5 inches thick for a moderate level of supporting
- 100% polyester with a medium-plush feel
- Includes mesh knit cover that is hypoallergenic and machine washable
- Cradles the curves of your head and neck without losing shape
What We Didn’t Like
- Unable to readjust the amount of memory foam inside pillow to reduce or increase the thickness
- Maybe a tad firm for some sleepers
If you are tired of waking up constantly, flipping your pillow fruitlessly for a side that isn’t drenched, and feeling frustrated, it’s time to take back your nights. This is easier than you think, because, choosing to sleep on pillows with cooling technology can transform your sleeping experience, and keep you comfortably cool while you sleep.
The best cooling pillow for hot sleepers in our opinion might easily be the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo. It is versatile enough for meeting the needs of back, side, and stomach sleepers. Those with a combination of sleep styles may value the Snuggle-Pedic too.
This pillow has a cooling bamboo cover that uses micro-venting to promote better air circulation and reduce overheating. Since the Snuggle-Pedic uses memory foam, it has the most flexible form of support that provides a comfortable night’s sleep. It is hypoallergenic for sleepers who also suffer from allergies, or have sensitive skin. The Snuggle-Pedic may also be the best cooling pillow for night sweats because of the moisture wicking bamboo cover.